Joel Salatin

Moderator: kraut_ruebe

Allgeier
Familienstand: verheiratet
Re: Joel Salatin

Beitrag von Allgeier » Do 5. Feb 2015, 14:18

Manfred hat geschrieben:Ja. Er sagt eigentlich immer, dass die überwiegend zugekauftes Getreide, Soja etc. kriegen.
Heist das dann, das Permabauer nicht gleich BIObauer ist? Wobei es eben nicht einfach ist ohne Soja in der Tierfuetterung auszukommen.
Konventionell heist wohl in den USA in Bezug auf Soja und Mais genveraendert, oder?

Allgeier

Manfred

Beitrag von Manfred » Do 5. Feb 2015, 15:56

Permakultur-Techniken kann jeder Bauer einsetzen, egal ob bio oder konventionell.
So wie Salatin auf GVO schimpft, gehe ich davon aus, dass er GVO-freie Ware verwendet. Sicher sagen kann ich das aber nicht.

Allgeier

Beitrag von Allgeier » Di 10. Feb 2015, 14:47

Und da heist es:

“I don’t believe there is a role for government, but there is a role for consumers to choose and pay for food that is landscape healing. Choose to patronise your local farmers, as eaters you need to demand a different type of food

Ich denke/glaube das man bestimmte Dinge nicht den Verbraucher entscheiden lassen kann. Die Regierung oder Politik hat die Weichen zu stellen um eine regional gefoerderte Landirtschaft zu foerdern. Nur das passiert ja nicht. Globalisierung ist angesagt.

Es kann nur jeder selber fuer sich und seine Umgebung Veraenderungen durchfuehren. Und sollche Personen wie der Joel kann man als Beispiel nehmen.

Allgeier

Beitrag von Allgeier » So 1. Mär 2015, 15:06

Auf der folgenden Seite ist das Futterrezept fuer seine Huehner:

http://www.avianaquamiser.com/posts/Joe ... d_recipes/

Here are the components of Salatin's broiler mix (and why he includes each ingredient):

52% corn --- For carbohydrates
29% roasted soybeans --- For protein
11% crimped oats --- These are a source of protein and carbs, but Salatin primarily includes oats because of the fiber in the hulls.
3.5% Sea-Lac brand fish meal --- He prefers this brand because of their low-heat processing, which helps preserve vitamins and minerals. The other purpose of fish meal is to provide animal protein.
3% Fertrell Nutri-Balancer --- For vitamins and minerals. (See below.)
1% feed grade limestone --- For calcium
0.5% kelp meal --- For minerals. Salatin recommends choosing kelp meal grown in cold water and dried geothermally.
0.1% Fastrack probiotic --- To promote digestion and boost the immune system. This brand name product is produced by Conklin Co., Inc., and Salatin says they have the highest percentage of Lactobaccillus acidophilus, without the fillers found in other brands of probiotics

Ich hab die Mengen in meinen Futterrechner eingegeben und die Futterkosten sind so hoch wie beim Fertigfutter hier.
Der Vorteil hier ist hald das ich die Bestandteile nun kenne und weiss was ich fuettere.
Aber auch die Zufuetterung von Fischmehl um die Huehner mit tierischem Protein zu versorgen.

Manfred

Beitrag von Manfred » Mi 4. Mär 2015, 18:57

Joel heute auf Facebook:

"from Joel Salatin, March 3, 2015

I spent the last day flying home from two weeks in Australia, where I did seminars in Melbourne,
Sydney, Brisbane, Cairns, Byron Bay, Noosa, and Metreeba. As I came back through security in Los
Angeles, after having wound my way through immigration, two things happened that made me shake
my head about where we are as a culture.

The first was a lady ahead of me sending a well-protected fur-looking coat through the security
machine. The guy behind me commented about it and I touched the hem of it and asked her if it was
real. She quickly responded: "Of course it's not real; I would never wear something real." Isn't that an
amazing statement? When you see it in all its starkness and judgment, it's almost surreal, like something
out of a sci-fi movie.

We've become such an artificial culture that the mere thought of being real repulses us. What a
shame. I quickly told her that animals were what she should wear, and she began mumbling about animal
rights. Not willing to let her get off so easily, I challenged her about carrot rights and killing them. By that
time the conveyor was moving and that was about all the conversation we could have, but the idea that
wearing petroleum is superior to wearing animal furs not only disrespects the very bedrock of ecological
function (life-death-decompostion-regeneration) but extracts humans from a participatory role in the
ecosystem.

In our area of Augusta County, more than half of the foxes now have mange, a debilitating parasitic
disease that gradually wastes away foxes. Why? Because they aren't being harvested by humans. You
see, foxes don't have many predators in our area. Ditto for many fur-bearing wild animals. Old-timers in
our area who grew up in the 1920s and 1930s note that boys got spending money in those days by running
trap lines and selling the pelts for clothing. In those days, a good fox pelt would fetch $50. That was big
money for a teenager in those days, equivalent to a couple hundred dollars today. That created balance
in the ecology and reduced rabies and predation on farmers' chickens and other livestock. Too bad those
days are gone, with good pelts hardly even sellable now. Boys aren't learning how to become men, the
ecology is denied human participation, and pastured poultry farmers are inundated with predators. To be
fair, I'm sure a few gals ran trap lines too.

"The Greatest Estate" is a fairly new book in Australia about how the Aborigines created an Edenic
place over many centuries of careful land management. The book is akin to newer books in the U.S.
showing how Native Americans managed the land with hunting and fire to build the rich, deep soils we
are still raping today with corn, beans, and chemical fertilizers. Australia in 1820 averaged 20 percent
organic matter in its soils. Organic matter is primarily decomposing vegetation and a direct relative of
sequestered carbon, which according to many is the key to climate change.

The U.S., with herds of buffalo 50 miles long and 30 miles wide, averaged 8 percent organic matter.
Each pound of organic matter holds four pounds of water; clearly a reduction of 19 percent in Australia and
7 percent in the U.S. has reduced water retentive capacity at an exponential level; it's also accounted for the
lion's share of the release of carbon from the soil into the atmosphere. By far and away the most efficacious
way to address atmospheric carbon is to put it into the soil, which perennials, herding, and ancient management
actually did. Australian fossils show 10 foot tall wombats.

On my first trip to Australia 15 years ago, I touched a couple of wombats that a lady had tamed using
carrots as a treat. They're like hard-shelled meg-groundhogs. Herbivores, modern-day wombats weigh
about 30-50 pounds and make burrows that swallow pickup trucks. According to recent archaeological
findings, the Aborigines gradually hunted out these slow-moving herbivorous behemoths and then turned
to strategic fire as an alternative. That worked fairly well. They also cut (without chainsaws) trees and dropped
them into water courses to create terraces and deltas, elevating the rivers above the landscape. It was quite
remarkable, this landscape the British convicts landed on in the 1800s.

I talked with one fellow who was trying to buy a ranch. He had the ranch manager's notebook from the
late 1800s, and that ranch fed 28,000 cows. Today, it can feed only 7,000. That's a typical example of how
improper grazing management has reduced the fertility and productivity of this great land mass. This was my
eighth trip to Australia, and what I'm learning is that it's a canary for ecological function. Remember, this has
nothing to do with cows; it has everything to do with how the cows were managed.

For several reasons, Australia is on the leading edge of what industrial farming does to the ecology. It's
not pretty. Because it's a more fragile ecosystem, things that hurt here in more temperate North America hurt
even faster in Australia. This is why the most aggressive solutions are coming out of Australia: permaculture,
keyline water management, pasture cropping. These are commercial-scale answers to all the destruction, and
are templates now being adapted throughout the world by people of conscience.

The second incident was in the same airport security line. I was in the TSA precheck line. Adjacent to us
was another line with five TSA agents doing nothing. While those of us in our line inched forward and finally
got our place in the radiation machine, a man noted that it was pretty inefficient for one side to be stacked up
and the other to be nobody. I mean nobody. The whole 15 minutes we were inching our way through and I was
having my conversation with the faux fur lady, the adjacent line had nary a person and all the TSA folks just stood
around looking lost.

The guy pointing out the obvious said that was indicative of government waste. The lady next to him took
issue: "They aren't the government." That made me look up and pay attention. The fellow next to her who made
the statement hardly knew how to respond. What do you say to such a stupid statement? He diplomatically pointed
out that indeed, yes, they were the government. Nonplussed, the lady--undoubtedly a well-educated sophisticate
since she was in the TSA pre-check express line--retorted "The TSA governs itself."

Dear, dear folks, this lady votes. How do educated people say such things? It makes me shake my head. It
also makes me realize why our founders were paranoid of a democracy. They called it mob rule. They wanted us
to have a republic, which limited voting to people with a stake in the country. Early on, you had to be a land owner.
Of course, voting requirements were abused during Jim Crowe and other periods. But I think the spirit of limiting
the vote is good if it can flush out the people who have an inherent anti-liberty bias. Who would have such a prejudice
today? People who want to take from producers and give to non-producers.

People who know nothing. I think a simple test at the voting booth with 10 basic questions would be fine to weed
out folks who don't know enough about our country to make a decision. Or how about this: only taxpayers can vote.
Simple, direct. If you don't pay taxes, you don't vote. That would limit the vote to people who pull their weight. That
half of Americans don't pay taxes but all get to vote is one reason we're in such an anti-freedom situation. Anyway, if
I ever ran for office, I would champion, among other things, a republic and not a democracy, and an integrity vote instead
of a shyster vote. The very notion that someone would say the TSA is not the government--it's unspeakably anti-liberty.

Enough for one day. Now go participate in the environment by buying from organic matter-building farmers, and
go read the constitution--it's really an amazingly readable document, despite what academic focus groups say."

Manfred

Beitrag von Manfred » So 18. Okt 2015, 18:58

Joel Salatin´s 3 Farming Principles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaQ3hXk ... FG9FWSSL1k

Steinbock

Beitrag von Steinbock » So 25. Okt 2015, 20:13

Allgeier hat geschrieben: Heist das dann, das Permabauer nicht gleich BIObauer ist? Wobei es eben nicht einfach ist ohne Soja in der Tierfuetterung auszukommen.
Tja, als es noch keine BSE-Krise gab, bekamen u.a. die Schweine Tiermehl zugefüttert, oder?
Soja wurde erst durch die BSE-Krise zu DEM Massenprodukt für die Tierfütterung.

Die offizielle Ursache für das Auftreten von BSE ist ein deformiertes Protein (Prion). Die inoffizielle Ursache war ein "Organophosphat (OP) vom Typ Phosmet":
Die Fliege und der Wahn
Ein Außenseiter hält BSE für eine Folge der Schädlingsbekämpfung
Von Juergen Kroenig, 28. Februar 1997
Bislang hatten staatliche und wissenschaftliche Instanzen scharf ablehnend auf die OP-Theorie reagiert. Eine Erforschung würde eine Verschwendung von Steuergeldern darstellen, beschied Agrarminister Douglas Hogg vor ein paar Monaten erst brieflich den früheren Verteidigungsminister Tom King, der sich für Purdey einsetzte.
Das SEAC-Komitee hatte mit geballtem Sachverstand die OP-Theorie für "unbegründet" und "nicht stichhaltig" erklärt.
Die Hypothese, daß Futter die Ursache der Krankheit sei, kann zumindest einen Punkt nicht erklären: Nach dem Verbot im Sommer 1988 schleuderte die britische Futterindustrie das Fleisch- und Knochenmehl zu Dumpingpreisen auf den Weltmarkt, unter anderem wurde es nach Frankreich, Holland, Israel, Südamerika und in den Nahen Osten exportiert. Jedoch die Rinderseuche blieb - wenigstens bis heute - vornehmlich auf Großbritannien beschränkt: 166 000 Fälle zu rund 700 im Rest der Welt.
http://www.zeit.de/1997/10/Die_Fliege_u ... ettansicht

Noch ein wichtiges Zitat aus dem Artikel:
Aber auch die OP-Theorie kommt hier in Erklärungsnöte: Man setzt in der Schweiz kein Phosmet gegen die Dasselfliege ein.
Die Aussage ist richtig, aber nicht vollständig. Es wurde in der Schweiz zwar kein Phosmet bei Rindern eingesetzt, aber dafür das Phosphat Neguvon:
Löst ein Parasitengift die Krankheit aus?
Aus: Hamburger Abendblatt, 10. Februar 2001
Der Kieler Universitäts-Professor Sievert Lorenzen kann diese ignorante Einstellung nicht verstehen. Er gründete deshalb eine Arbeitsgruppe, die klären soll, wo in Sachen BSE die Forschungsdefizite liegen. Die OP-These hält er für verfolgenswert: "99 Prozent aller BSE-Fälle stammen von der Insel", sagt der Zoologe, "und dort war der Einsatz von Phosmet gesetzlich vorgeschrieben." In der Schweiz war es kurze Zeit Pflicht, das Organo-Phosphat Neguvon gegen Dasselfliegen einzusetzen – und die Schweiz weist nach Großbritannien die meisten BSE-Fälle in Europa auf.
http://bse.khd-research.net/M/edien20.html

Ergänzung dazu:
Phosmet
Handelsnamen: Appa, Decemthion, Fosdan, Imidan, Kemolate, Percolate, Prolate, Safidon, Smidan
Synonyme: O,O-Dimethyl-S-phthalimidomethyl- phosphordithioat, Phosphordithiosäure-S-((1,3-dihydro- 1,3-dioxo-2H-isoindol-2-yl)methyl)-O,O-dimethylester, O,O-Dimethylphosphordithiosäure-N- (mercaptomethyl)phthalimid-S-ester
Giftwirkung: Phosphorsäureester sind Hemmer der Cholinesterasen Acetylcholinesterase (AChE) und Butyrylcholinesterase (BuChE).
Die Gefahren durch die Phosphorsäureester werden durch die Kombination mit weiteren Alkylphosphaten, Lösungsmitteln und anderen Zusätzen erhöht. Alle diese Stoffe sind Kontaktgifte !!!!
Symptomatik: Es kommt zu einer Lähmung der Atmung, die entweder zentral und/oder peripher ausgelöst sein kann. Des weiteren sind oft psychische Veränderungen, Verwirrtheit und alle Formen der Bewusstseinsstörungen festzustellen. Tremor, Muskelzuckungen bis hin zu tonisch-klonischen Krämpfen, Versteifungen der Muskulatur, vor allem im Bereich des Gesichtes und des Nackens, Sprachstörungen und Parästhesien sind weitere Anzeichen.

http://www.gifte.de/Chemikalien/phosmet.htm

Die Bodenforschering Dr. Elaine Ingham erkärt in ihrem Vortrag, diesen Januar in Oxford, bei der Oxford Real Farming Conference:
"Normale Gräser auf konventionell bearbeiteter Weiden enthalten ca. 5-6% Proteine. Gräser auf biologisch bearbeiteten Wiesen enthalten bis zu 25 oder 26 Prozent an Protein" (Ab 24:55, "The Roots of Your Profits – Dr Elaine Ingham, Soil Microbiologist, Founder of Soil Foodweb Inc (1h36min)
" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2H60ritjag).

D.h. Tier müssen von gutem Futter weniger essen, um alle notwendigen Nährstoffe zu sich zu nehmen und haben daher auch schneller keinen Hunger mehr. So ähnlich könnte es auch bei anderen Futterpflanzen sein.

Steinbock

Beitrag von Steinbock » So 25. Okt 2015, 20:31

@Manfred

In diesem Video gibt es am Ende einen Vortrag von Joel Salatin (ab 1:59:35):

Putting Grasslands to Work - Day 1 - Session 5 - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMvpop6BdBA

Ich muss sagen, dass ich ihn aufgrund dieses Vortrags für nicht besonders sympathisch halte. Er mag zwar eine Menge über Permakultur und über die erfolgreiche Bewirtschaftung eines landwirtschaftlichen Betriebes wissen, aber meiner Meinung nach wird er nur dann Leute als "gut" empfinden, wenn sie ihm helfen seinen Gewinn zu steigern.
Ich denke dass Permakultur auch etwas mit Geist bzw. mit Einstellung zu tun hat und nicht mit betriebswirtschaftlichen Parametern zu erfassen ist.

Manfred

Beitrag von Manfred » So 25. Okt 2015, 21:35

Ist schon ein Jahr her, dass ich das Video gesehen habe.
Was meinst du denn genau?

Antworten

Zurück zu „Aufbauende Landwirtschaft (Regenerative Agriculture)“